Wednesday, December 21, 2005

NYC Transit Strike

New York City Transit Strike hits home for this blogger.
Unusual post for this blog, but I must.
I was a commuter you see. Did it for 15 years. Now that I am down South in Florida, and I'm reading about the New York City Transit Strike in the news, I have a totatally different perspective. I now am an observer rather than a participant. Seeing with different eyes.
They said that the last Transit strike was in 1980 and lasted 11 days. I was not involved in that. But I do remember the communter trains, New Jersey Transit being on strike for a long time.
Here are my observations based on New York Times videos.
Commuters are walking across the Brooklyn Bridge to get into Manhattan.
They're all wrapped up because it is cooooold.
One thing about the energy in NYC - nothing stops these people. The energy is so strong, so many people, so much motion all the time, nothing stops it. NYC is definitely not suffering from entropy.

There are no subways or buses running in Manhattan. The people walking over the bridges seem to be sympatheric to the Transit Workers, but hope the strike doesn't last too long.

The picture is surrealistic for me. Something out of the movie "Escape from New York" with Kurt Russel. I've never seen a closed subway station.

The New York Times reporter said "commuters are finding creative ways to get to work". Ha ha ha. Wonder if we'll see people on horseback in New York City. Maybe the Central Park Horse Carriages will take over now.

The Strikers are being very overt.

New Jersey Transit and LIRR are running, depositing their passengers into Penn Station. Trains hold a lot of people. Commuter trains usually have 6 to 10 cars. Coming in from all parts of Jersey and Long Island. The amount of people commuting into New York City every day is massive. Unbelievable. I know. I used to be one of them. Penn Station crowded is not a pleasant experience.

Companies were supposed to be providing buses to take their employees to work, but at this morning's rush hour there were no buses. Hospital and health care workers are the first priority. Commuters agreed that if the buses showed up they would let the health care workers have them, and they would head on home.

I never would have tried to go into the City at all. I would have stayed home. And gotten into trouble with work, as usual.

In the Times Slidshow they showed pictures of Penn Station. There are armed Transit Police - fully clothed in battle gear, black cloth over their mouths, carrying autmatic weapons, fully booted and weaponed. I couldn't download those pics.

New Yorkers seems to just keep on going no matter what. That energy only exists in the City. I can vouch for that now I'm out of it. One of the stranded communters at Penn Station said, This is New York. Things happen.

I will be following this story because, you see

Everything is Connected.

Remember Syriana.

If this is happening now, during the Season of Light, in New York City, something is being revealed.

I will also be aware of sending blessings of light and safety to these people who are trying to live their lifes.

Personally, I'd rather be on a one horse open sleigh.

But I do know that everything is connected. And New York doesn't have the reputation as the greatest city in the world for no reason. So best we watch and see, because it is all a reflection.

Pics attached above this post.

B'Shalom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home